Feb 28, 2010

"Slouch" Hat -- try and try again

Some how this post was never posted... blogger, why are you doing this???? This was from way back when.  I learned a lot from this project!

I was getting to the point to where I thought I was never going to get this hat right! First there was the simple problem that I was over thinking the pattern.  I was making it for my daughter so I thought I could just subtract a few cast on stitches from the adult pattern for the kid pattern since I couldn't find a kid pattern to my liking.  Then when I got halfway into it I realized it was A LOT smaller than I had planned.  I soon realized that I was using size 8 needles when the pattern called for size 10. Lesson #1 Always follow the needle size!!! or at least take notice of it before you get started!!  I had brief thoughts of just giving the hat to one of my younger second cousins but before I could complete the hat I ran out of yarn....

So then I decided to just start over, use the same size 8 needles, but follow the number of stitch numbers and such, figuring that smaller needles would make the pattern tighter and smaller... Tighter yes --- it didn't exactly turn out to be a slouch hat! ACK!!!!  But we added some pretty ribbon and I think it looks cute!

 
  

I got the pattern idea from here , but I made some changes to the pattern. 

So here is what I ended up really doing:
Yarn: Vanna's Choice Yarn- Rose Mist (Medium Weight)
Needles: size 8 US 16 in. circular, and set of size 8 US DPN

CO 68 sts using the circular needles
1. Work 2 X 2 rib for 2.5"
2. Knit all stitches while increasing by 12 stitches evenly (80 sts)
3. Knit all stitches while increasing by 8 stitches evenly (88 sts)
4. *K1, P1*
5. Purl all stitches
6. Repeat rows 4 and 5 until piece measures 5" from CO.

Decreasing Crown (switch to DPNs when necessary)
7. *P9, P2G* (80 sts)
8. *K1 P1*
9. *P6, P2G* (70sts)
10. *K1 P1*
11. *P5, P2G* (60 sts)
12. *K1 P1* (I switched the the Double Pointed Needles after the end of this row)
13. *P4, P2G* (50 sts)
14.  *K1 P1*
15. *P3, P2G* (40 sts)
16. *K1 P1*
17. *P2, P2G* (30 sts)
18.  *K1 P1*
19. *P1, P2G* (20 sts)
20. *K1 P1*
21. *P2G* (10 sts)
22. *P2G* (5 sts)
23. cut yarn, thread yarn through remaining stitches, pull tight and weave in remaining yarn.
Note: pattern within ** should be repeated

1 comment:

  1. It turned out so cute! The little ribbon around the bottom is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete